Dresden and famous Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche is important part of Dresden. This Lutheran church symbolizes the turbulent history of the Saxon capital. One of the most phenomenal buildings in baroque style has been destroyed at the end of the WW II. The rulers of a totalitarian regime planned to turn the temple into a parking lot. But German people could not allow their plan to be realized. Frauenkirche is the place where the demonstrations against the communist regime began. Over 13,000 sponsors from 23 countries were involved in reconstruction of the church, which Germans are so proud of.
The night from February 13th to 14th, 1945 is considered to be one of the worst nights in the history of Dresden. Many people from all over Germany run in fear of the Red Army to Dresden. They knew that the war was coming to the end and they believed that they will survive ... It was just 12 weeks before the surrender of Germany. On this night the Allies chose to raid and bomb the place, which is called the Florence of the Elbe. Almost the whole city was in flames, especially its center that people from around the world admired. Tens of thousands of residents died ... Many others found shelter in Baroque building, the church Frauenkirche, which saved them. Two days of the bombing and then the church was defeated by the fire, which found the way to the building through the windows. The dome of the church collapsed on February 15th.
Frauenkirche - the symbol of Dresden
A pile of stones and debris in the heart of the city - the Neumarkt Square served for a long time as a sacred place and gained fame among people. The rulers of a Communist regime planned to turn the temple into a parking lot. But German people could not allow their plan to be realized. In 1966, this place became the official memorial of the war. In 1982, the first demonstrations against the Communist regime began here. In 1989, the famous virtuoso, trumpeter and conductor Ludwig Güttler established the Society for the reconstruction of the Frauenkirche. Over 13,000 sponsors from 23 countries were involved in reconstruction of the church. The most complex architectural reconstruction took over 12 years and cost 180 million euros.
Reborn of Frauenkirche
The reconstruction is also very interesting topic to talk about. There have been no construction plans that would survive the bombing and could help with reconstruction. So in 1994 the experts started collecting, restoring and mainly recording a total of 22 thousand cubic meters of rubble! What happened was that each stone received a five-digit identification number and was also photographed. The church was built with help of old photos, paintings and memories of witnesses ... Later, they created on their computers 3D model of the building in scale 1: 20 and managed to build 43% of the original components. Only underground spaces have changed but these days they are perfect for the concert hall. Frauenkirche was finally opened to the public on October 30th, 2005.
What to see in the Frauenkirche
What is worth a visit in Frauenkirche? The white dome is one of the largest around the Alps. It is called the Steinerne Glocke and weighs nearly 12,000 tons! Many people compare this dome with Michelangelo's dome of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. The dome has no internal supports and even though remained intact during the Seven Years War when in 1760 a hundred cannon balls of Prussian army headed to it. You will be amazed by the interior of the church and by the cupola observation deck, where you can enjoy the best view of the city. To the top, you can take a modern elevator.
Concerts at the Frauenkirche
Music performances in Frauenkirche are famous because the acoustics are great. Impressive are also local organ concerts. Originally there was organ designed for this church by the famous Gottfried Silbermann in 1736. The organ combined technologies and materials of the centuries. There is no wonder why Johann Sebastian Bach chose this place to host gala concert. However the famous organ had been buried under the ruins from the bombing. During the reconstruction of the temple, people were looking for the replacement of the organ. It is no surprise that the organ of Daniel Kern of Strasbourg were chosen to replace the original musical instrument.
History of the Frauenkirche
Frauenkirche was the wooden church in the 11th century and was the oldest Christian sanctuary in the region. Its mission was to take care of the Christianization of the Sorbs. The church was turned into a stone Romanesque building in the 12th century, and then the Gothic influence showed up. Later it became part of the Lutheran parish, and since 1539 it served more than 20 years as the funeral church. The first mass was held here in 1559 but in 1722 the church was completely demolished to become a masterpiece of one of the most famous German baroque architect - George Bähreho. Citizens of Germany have contributed financially to the construction. Construction lasted 18 years. The church did not become Catholic, although the former Elector of Saxony was Frederick Augustus II. (1670 - 1733). He converted to Catholicism just to get the Polish crown.
Address: Neumarkt, 01067 Dresden,
Transportation: trams no. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12 (to stop "Pirnaischer Platz"), bus no. 75
Access for the disabled, toilet for people in wheelchairs
More information www.frauenkirche-dresden.de
How to get there: Buses Eurolines will take you to Dresden three times a day. The journey takes just two hours and also children can travel by buses Eurolines that are equipped with children restraint seats.